Susie Merz MC, RCC
Counselling in Vancouver for Depression, Anxiety,
Addictions Issues, Anger Management, Coping with
Stress, and Major Life Transitions
It takes courage to ask for help and seek out a counsellor, so I commend you for taking this important step. I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor in Vancouver offering skilled, compassionate counselling and therapy in a variety of areas.
My desire to provide compassionate, practical counselling services is at the heart of my practice, Pyxis Counselling Services. As I explain here, the meaning of “Pyxis” (pronounced “pik-sis”) represents the focus for my work as a counsellor, which is to help you navigate life.
There are many issues that can be brought to counselling or therapy; here are some examples of the areas that I work in:
- Depression or anxiety disorders
- Having trouble coping with stress in your life or dealing with a major life transition
- Dealing with anger management issues
- Struggling with addiction, including alcohol and drug use or other behaviours such as compulsive gambling, compulsive shopping, or addiction to internet use
- Having relationship problems
There is a word picture hanging in my counselling office that gives the definition of peace. Part of it says “Freedom from disquieting feelings and thoughts: serenity.” Although life presents challenges of all kinds, I am committed to working with you toward gaining a sense of peace, both inwardly, and in the outward circumstances of your life.
Benefits of Counselling
Obviously as a counsellor I fully believe in the value and benefit of the counselling process. There is something both profound and powerful about being listened to, understood, and guided through a process of change. Here are some examples of the benefits of counselling that you can experience:
- Learn practical skills to cope with depression or anxiety
- Develop daily coping techniques to manage your stress level through difficult life events such as a job change, the loss of a relationship, mid life transitions
- Tune into and use the wisdom of your physical body and the mind body connection to improve your emotional and mental health
- Take steps to gain control of addictive behavior such as alcohol or drug use, problem gambling, and compulsive shopping
- Feel a sense of self-acceptance
- Strengthen connections in your relationships
Click here for the April 2013 newsletter article – “Boundaries in Relationships”. Sign up on the left below my photo and receive the newsletter each month in your inbox, or “like” Pyxis Counselling Services on Facebook by clicking here.
Leaving A Religion
Are you experiencing a loss of faith or a spiritual crisis? Are you making a transition out of a church or religion and feeling alone or confused?
It can be difficult to know where to turn and where it is safe to share these thoughts. I offer counselling for those who are in this challenging situation, whether you are in a position of questioning the spiritual or religious beliefs you have always held, or have fully left behind a fundamental religion.
No matter where you are at in this process, or what religion or faith system you may be a part of, my aim is to provide a safe, non-judgemental place to help you with the unique struggles that you may be experiencing, such as:
- Concerns about what it means to have doubts about your faith
- Continuing to relate with family or close friends who are still religious
- Dealing with the loss of a community
- Healing from guilt, shame or perfectionism
- Expressing a healthy sexuality or coming to terms with sexual orientation
- Developing a new framework for life outside of your former religion
- Discovering a true and healthy identity and self-worth