Counselling and Therapy Resources
The following is a list of resources in a variety of topic areas.The books and links to websites are resources that I have made use of and have found to contain excellent information as well as links to further resources.
Many of the books listed can be found through the Vancouver Public Library: www.vpl.ca
- “7 Tools to Beat Addiction: A New Path to Recovery from Addictions of Any Kind: Smoking, Alcohol, Food, Drugs, Gambling, Sex, Love” (2004) Stanton Peele Ph. D., J.D.
- “In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction” (2008) Gabor Mate, M.D.
- Extensive list of resources for help with drug and alcohol addiction
- Gambler’s Anonymous meetings
- Resource for quitting smoking
- “When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress” (2003) Gabor Mate
- “The Joy of Burnout: How the End of the World Can Be a New Beginning” (2002) Dina Glouberman
Depression, Anxiety and Mental Health
- “Your Depression Map: Find the Source of Your Depression and Chart Your Own Recovery” (2002) Randy J. Paterson, Ph.D.
- “Anxiety Free: Unravel your Fears before They Unravel You” (2009) Robert L. Leahy
- “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” (1987) Susan Jeffers
- Mood Disorders Association of BC
- Mental Health and Substance Use Information
Leaving a Religion
- “Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and others Leaving Their Religion” (1994) Dr. Marlene Winell
- “The Dark Side: How Evangelical Teachings Corrupt Love and Truth” (2007) Valerie Tarico Ph.D.
- Support and resources for those having left Christianity
- “Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life” (1994) Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “Coming to our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness” (2005) Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “The Mindful Way through Depression: Healing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness” (2007) J. Mark G. Williams, John D. Teasdale, Zindel V. Segal Ph.D. and Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” (1999) Eckhart Tolle
- “A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose” (2005) Eckhart Tolle
- “You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment” (2009) Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Family Ties that Bind: A self-help guide to change through Family of Origin therapy” (1995) Dr. Ronald W. Richardson
- “The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You” (1996) Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.
- “Highly Sensitive Person’s Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World” (2004) Ted Zeff
- The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World (2002) Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D.
- Nancy Okerlund, on being a “conscious introvert”
- “Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples” (2008) Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
- “Keeping the Love You Find: A Personal Guide” (1992) Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
- “The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work” (1999) John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
- “Non-Violent Communication: A Language of Life” (2003) Marshall B. Rosenberg, Ph.D.
- The Center for Non-Violent Communication
- LaShelle Lowe-Charde, on Helping Couples Communicate with Compassion