Counselling and Therapy Resources
The following is a list of resources in a variety of topic areas. The books and links to websites are resources that I have made use of and have found to contain excellent information as well as links to further resources.
- “7 Tools to Beat Addiction: A New Path to Recovery from Addictions of Any Kind: Smoking, Alcohol, Food, Drugs, Gambling, Sex, Love” (2004) Stanton Peele Ph. D., J.D.
- “In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction” (2008) Gabor Mate, M.D.
- Extensive list of resources for help with drug and alcohol addiction
- Gambler’s Anonymous meetings
- Resource for quitting smoking
- “When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress” (2003) Gabor Mate
- “The Joy of Burnout: How the End of the World Can Be a New Beginning” (2002) Dina Glouberman
Depression, Anxiety and Mental Health
- “Your Depression Map: Find the Source of Your Depression and Chart Your Own Recovery” (2002) Randy J. Paterson, Ph.D.
- “Anxiety Free: Unravel your Fears before They Unravel You” (2009) Robert L. Leahy
- “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” (1987) Susan Jeffers
- Mood Disorders Association of BC
- Mental Health and Substance Use Information
Leaving a Religion
- “Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and others Leaving Their Religion” (1994) Dr. Marlene Winell
- “The Dark Side: How Evangelical Teachings Corrupt Love and Truth” (2007) Valerie Tarico Ph.D.
- Support and resources for those having left Christianity
- “Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life” (1994) Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “Coming to our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness” (2005) Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “The Mindful Way through Depression: Healing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness” (2007) J. Mark G. Williams, John D. Teasdale, Zindel V. Segal Ph.D. and Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “Family Ties that Bind: A self-help guide to change through Family of Origin therapy” (1995) Dr. Ronald W. Richardson
- “The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You” (1996) Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.
- “Highly Sensitive Person’s Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World” (2004) Ted Zeff
- The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World (2002) Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D.
- Nancy Okerlund, on being a “conscious introvert”
- “Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples” (2008) Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
- “Keeping the Love You Find: A Personal Guide” (1992) Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
- “The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work” (1999) John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
- “Non-Violent Communication: A Language of Life” (2003) Marshall B. Rosenberg, Ph.D.
- The Center for Non-Violent Communication
- LaShelle Lowe-Charde, on Helping Couples Communicate with Compassion